The Celtics blew an 18-point lead and dropped a 121-118 time beyond regulation loss to a foul Hornets staff on Monday, which snapped a six-game successful streak.
Listed here are the takeaways.
1. The Celtics had been enjoying their third street recreation in 4 nights and the second recreation of a back-to-back, and so they regarded like each mile of their four-game street journey. Jayson Tatum scored 45 factors, and Payton Pritchard was wonderful with 21 factors, however the Celtics’ protection couldn’t cease LaMelo Ball or Mark Williams (who appears like a keeper for the Hornets). In the meantime, Kristaps Porzingis was inefficient, and each Jaylen Brown and Sam Hauser had nightmarish evenings from the ground.
The Celtics are going to lose some unhealthy video games this season, and Monday’s was a first-rate contender given the street journey and the schedule. Presumably, that didn’t make the flight again to Boston any simpler, however sleeping in their very own beds would possibly assist the gamers a bit.
2. The Celtics most likely ought to have had just a few further seconds to execute up a play within the closing seconds of the time beyond regulation interval, since an excessive amount of time clearly appeared to come back off the clock, and the officers opted not examine the replay.
The choice to not examine the replay was considerably mystifying, since officers are by no means shy about delaying the sport and going to the screens. There’s, in fact, no assure the Celtics would have scored with the additional time, however they most likely ought to have had a chance to take action (the additional seconds would have been the distinction between having to catch and shoot instantly and with the ability to take a few dribbles first). The referees basically assured one other spherical of dialog about officiating when the Final Two Minutes report drops on Tuesday.
3. Jaylen Brown had his second actually tough night time in a row from the sector. After going 5-for-16 towards the Grizzlies, he completed 5-for-17 towards the Hornets and missed all 5 of his 3-pointers, together with a questionable 2-for-1 try in time beyond regulation that gave the Hornets the ball with an opportunity to take the lead. Miles Bridges canned a triple (extra on that in a minute), and the Celtics spent the ultimate seconds of the sport attempting to claw again.
Brown has had an up-and-down begin to the yr, and the tip of the street journey was a valley.
4. Even nonetheless, the Celtics had an opportunity to tie when Tatum caught a go and elevated for a 3-pointer with Gordon Hayward trailing him too carefully. Hayward bought caught in Tatum’s touchdown area and gave up a foul, however Tatum went 2-for-3 on the free throw line, which arrange the weird clock sequence above.
As a staff, the Celtics had been 18-for-28 (64.3 p.c) from the free-throw line. In an time beyond regulation recreation that the Celtics misplaced by three, these missed free throws loom massive.
5. The Celtics had been 16-for-50 from behind the arc (32 p.c). For those who subtract the 12 makes in 23 makes an attempt by Tatum and Pritchard, the Celtics shot just below 15 p.c, 4-for-27 from three.
The three-pointers will proceed to fly (and they need to), however the Celtics might want to hope that Monday’s efficiency was an aberration as a result of schedule and never a return to the streaky capturing that bought them in hassle at occasions final yr.
6. Jrue Vacation completed with seven turnovers. Whereas Vacation has been a rock-solid defender and a internet optimistic on the offensive finish, Bucks followers warned that he typically has moments that go away followers shaking their heads. Sadly for the Celtics, Monday’s recreation was stuffed with them.
7. You might be right here for basketball, so we began with basketball, however let’s take a fast second as we shut to notice that a part of the rationale the Celtics misplaced was due to Miles Bridges, who hit a 3-pointer that gave the Hornets a three-point lead in time beyond regulation that the Celtics couldn’t overcome.
Bridges is in his third recreation again after serving a 30-game suspension. Previous to his return, he told reporters that if he helps the Hornets get extra wins “folks’s views will change.”
Monday’s recreation confirmed that he may be proper.
In 2022, Bridges pleaded no contest to a felony home violence cost towards the mom of his kids. She detailed a horrific account of abuse on Instagram, writing that Bridges concussed her, broke her nostril, and strangled her till she handed out. She could also be effectively conscious of how discourse on the web works, as a result of she additionally supplied medical documentation of her accidents in addition to photographs of her bruised face. The photographs are tough to take a look at. Her account of the incident is tough to learn. The video of their son recounting to a 3rd occasion how “daddy choked mommy” is heartbreaking. There are newer allegations that Bridges and a girlfriend threatened her and threw billiards balls at her automobile whereas the previous couple’s kids had been inside it as effectively.
All of that’s to query whether or not Bridges deserves to have public perspective shift. It’s additionally most likely price contemplating whether or not the Hornets ought to have given extra thought to creating him a part of an NBA staff once more, however that ship, it appears, has sailed.
8. The Celtics will tackle Giannis Antetokounmpo, Damian Lillard and the new-look Bucks for the primary time this season on Wednesday as they return to TD Backyard. The sport suggestions off at 7:30 p.m.
Get the newest Boston sports activities information
Obtain updates in your favourite Boston groups, straight from our newsroom to your inbox.