June 15, 2024

Native Information

“We urge dad and mom to debate this with their kids and advise them to not partake on this exercise,” Joseph Early Jr. wrote on Fb Wednesday.

Within the wake of 14-year-old Harris Wolobah’s demise, following his participation within the “One Chip Problem,” Worcester County District Legal professional Joseph Early Jr. is recommending dad and mom focus on the viral problem with their kids.

On Friday, the Worcester sophomore ate the extraordinarily spicy Paqui Chips product at Doherty Memorial Excessive College and felt sick. He was despatched residence from faculty, and hours later, he fainted and died.

Whereas the trigger and method of Harris’ demise has not but been confirmed by post-mortem, his household believes he died of well being “issues” from consuming the chip.

“Whereas the investigation into the reason for {the teenager}’s demise in Worcester continues, the Worcester County District Legal professional’s Workplace want to remind dad and mom to analysis and focus on together with your kids in regards to the one-chip problem,” Early wrote on Fb Wednesday.

The tortilla chip — which is made with among the hottest peppers on the earth — is a part of a Paqui Chips promotion referred to as the “One Chip Problem.” The problem dares individuals to eat the chip and see how lengthy they will go with out consuming or consuming.

A person holding up a One Chip Problem Paqui Chips container in 2017. – Wikimedia Commons through LarrysBoy

Individuals are inspired to movie their expertise and publish it on social media — a observe which has develop into in style on TikTok in recent times. Final 12 months when the problem skilled a resurgence, faculties throughout the nation reported sending college students to the hospital after they ate the chip.

“We urge dad and mom to debate this with their kids and advise them to not partake on this exercise,” Early wrote.

Early highlighted the truth that the chip is constituted of two of the most well liked peppers on the earth — the Carolina Reaper and the Naga Viper. The chemical that makes them scorching known as capsaicin, and in giant quantities, the Nationwide Capital Poison Middle warns, it might trigger severe well being issues.

  • Household believes Worcester teen died from ‘issues’ after taking part in viral ‘One Chip Problem’

  • ‘I miss my son’: Household of Worcester teen who died after taking part in ‘One Chip Problem’ desires spicy chip banned

Capsaicin is measured in Scoville Warmth Models, or SHUs, the place as much as 2,000 SHUs is taken into account gentle, and 1.5 million SHUs is taken into account extraordinarily scorching. Whereas the chip itself doesn’t have a Scoville ranking, each peppers comprise among the highest quantities of capsaicin of any pepper presently in the marketplace. Naga Vipers measure 1.4 million SHUs and Carolina Reapers measure 1.7 SHUs.

Early additionally identified that Paqui Chips warns in opposition to consuming the chip if you’re a minor, are allergic to peppers or capsaicin, or have any well being issues. Notably, Harris’ dad and mom have stated he had no pre-existing circumstances or allergy symptoms. Moreover, there’s nothing stopping minors from shopping for the chips.

On Wednesday, for the primary time since Harris’ demise, the Hershey Firm, whose subsidiary owns Paqui Chips, commented on the teenager’s demise.

“We’re deeply saddened by the information report and specific our condolences to the household,” the corporate stated in a press release. “It will be inappropriate for us to take a position or remark additional.”