Shifting up and down the dial whereas remembering the great previous days when sports activities radio hosts really gained a rankings guide earlier than gloating about their success . . .
· He hasn’t reached double figures in video games referred to as, however I’m snug saying it: The Celtics and NBC Sports activities Boston have a keeper in new play-by-play voice — and eventual Mike Gorman successor — Drew Carter. Like most younger voices, he can get a little bit pun and catchphrase-heavy (“You possibly can’t deal with the Jruth!”), however it comes from a spot of enthusiasm. He already has command of the movement of the sport, and — that is essential — offers it proper again to Brian Scalabrine when Scal offers him a tough time. Radio voice Sean Grande would have been a terrific alternative, even the logical one, and he has each proper to really feel like he received shortchanged. However Carter has been a worthwhile addition, and given his vow to be taught from Gorman, he’s solely going to get higher.
· Sports activities Hub program director Rick Radzik didn’t reply to a request Friday asking whether or not Wealthy Shertenlieb’s spot on the Toucher and No-Longer-Wealthy program is perhaps crammed sooner somewhat than later. But when it’s potential, it will be clever to take action. There isn’t any higher or extra apparent candidate than Rob “Hardy” Poole, the third voice on the noon “Zolak and Bertrand” present, and he does need the morning gig. His manufacturing abilities and dry humorousness can be a really perfect match with Toucher, who spent the week reveling in outlasting Shertenlieb whereas additionally, in his tongue-in-cheek means, trying to construct suspense about who would succeed him. All drama apart, it must be a straightforward alternative.
If Hardy does transfer to mornings, ideally that may open up an even bigger function for Ryan Johnston, a weekend host and generally third voice on the morning present. Johnston can be a superb match with Marc Bertrand and Scott Zolak in middays. He really has a humorous rapport with Toucher within the mornings, however Jon Wallach is entrenched because the third voice within the a.m. and is in style with present listeners.
· WEEI morning present host Greg Hill signed a contract extension Thursday, and the timing partly appeared designed to place to relaxation any notion that Shertenlieb will find yourself going face to face with Toucher on the rival sports activities station. Hill’s present did make vital headway within the rankings over the summer season, and will probably be attention-grabbing to find how sustainable it has been within the fall. These Nielsen Audio numbers will likely be out there Dec. 27.
· Possibly it’s as a result of I had my fill of Agitation Radio through the “Dennis and Callahan” reign of conceitedness, however I’ve change into extra appreciative of reveals that discuss sports activities and popular culture with the intent of getting listeners snigger together with them somewhat than at somebody. It struck me not too long ago that the noon reveals on WEEI (”Gresh & Fauria”) and The Sports activities Hub (”Zolak & Bertrand”) do a superb job of protecting listeners engaged and amused with out sending their blood strain into the hazard zone.
· Charissa Thompson’s admission on Barstool Sports activities’ “Pardon My Take” podcast that she made up experiences in her days working as a sideline reporter is nothing new. She acknowledged it beforehand in a podcast she co-hosts with Fox Sports activities sideline reporter Erin Andrews, albeit in a vaguer method. However for some motive — maybe the big viewers attain of “PMT” — the backlash is way stronger this time, and that’s good. It’s journalistic malpractice to make up info and cross it alongside as reality, and Thompson is aware of it.
Thompson, now the studio host for Amazon Prime’s NFL broadcasts, additionally undermines sideline reporters, a lot of whom spoke out in opposition to her and her occasional apply of sharing phony info. Thompson’s failure to take the job significantly solely provides to the notion that the function of sideline reporter is superfluous — which it actually isn’t when information is unfolding, equivalent to throughout “Thursday Evening Soccer” when Kaylee Hartung stored viewers knowledgeable and updated on Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow’s wrist damage.
Lesley Visser, a former Globe sportswriter and a pioneer for feminine reporters on tv, summed it up greatest in a press release to Aditi Kinkhabwala of CBS Sports activities: “On behalf of all girls who’ve labored onerous to get the job and labored equally onerous to do the job — with dignity and respect — I’m astonished that somebody might simply throw away the reality. The reality is what we have now. It’s the DNA of a journalist. After I began, the credentials mentioned, ‘No Ladies or Youngsters within the Press Field.’ Apparently floor gained isn’t floor secured.”
Join Celtics updates🏀
Get breaking information and evaluation delivered to your inbox throughout basketball season.