The household of Harris Wolobah, the Worcester teen who died Friday after collaborating within the “One Chip Problem,” mentioned in an emotional interview with WBZ-TV Tuesday that they need the problem’s spicy chip faraway from retailer cabinets.
“I pray to God that no mother and father will undergo what I’m going by way of,” Harris’ mom Lois Wolobah instructed the information station in tears. “I don’t wish to see anyone hurting the best way I’m hurting. I miss my son a lot.”
Harris, who was a sophomore at Doherty Memorial Excessive Faculty in Worcester, reportedly obtained the chip from a good friend throughout faculty on Friday. After consuming the chip, he felt sick and went house. Inside just a few hours, he fainted and died.
The trigger and method of Harris’ demise haven’t been confirmed by the Chief Medical Examiner’s workplace. However Harris’ household believes he died of well being “issues” from consuming the chip.
Paqui Chips, which makes the tortilla chip, warns in opposition to consuming it in case you are allergic to peppers or have any medical issues. However Harris’ household instructed WBZ-TV that he didn’t have any identified pre-existing circumstances or allergy symptoms.
“We’ve been having sleepless nights,” Harris’ father, Amos Wolobah, instructed the information station. “…He’s not going to return again.”
As of Tuesday evening, the Hershey Firm, whose subsidiary owns Paqui Chips, didn’t reply to a number of requests for remark, and seemingly hadn’t issued a press release on Harris’s demise to any information group.
The chip is a part of a promotion referred to as the “One Chip Problem,” daring individuals to eat the chip — which is made with a few of the world’s hottest peppers — and see how lengthy they will go with out consuming or consuming. They’re additionally inspired to movie their expertise and put up it on social media — a apply which has lengthy been fashionable on TikTok.
Paqui Chips’ web site says the chip is meant for grownup consumption, however there may be nothing stopping minors from shopping for the snack. Final 12 months, faculties throughout the nation reported sending college students to the hospital after they ate the chip.
The chip has a major quantity of capsaicin — the chemical that makes scorching peppers spicy. The Nationwide Capital Poison Heart warns that ingesting massive quantities of capsaicin may cause critical well being issues.
A member of the family has created a GoFundMe marketing campaign to assist the Wolobahs pay for funeral bills. Douglas Hill, Harris’ former basketball coach, can be internet hosting a basketball exercise at a neighborhood church on Saturday that can profit the Wolobah household.
“In occasions like these it’s vital we stand collectively and assist each other as a neighborhood,” he wrote in a Fb put up Monday.
Keep updated on all the newest information from Boston.com