February 27, 2024

Native Information

“Lorna was my life. This firm took my complete life away from me.”

The household of a lady who died from an bronchial asthma assault whereas on the job at a Massachusetts hashish cultivation and processing facility is suing the corporate and its HVAC contractors. 

The household of 27-year-old Lorna McMurrey has filed a wrongful loss of life lawsuit in Hampden County Superior Court docket towards Trulieve and contractors it employed to put in the HVAC system in its Holyoke processing facility, lawyer’s for the household introduced. The go well with alleges “gross negligence, recklessness and willful and wanton misconduct,” accusing the corporate and its contractors of failing to implement insurance policies procedures that might reduce the danger of publicity to airborne hashish mud and mould within the facility. 

Lorna McMurrey – Supplied

McMurrey was filling pre-rolls on the facility in January 2022 when she stated she couldn’t breathe. An Occupational Security and Well being Administration investigation discovered that she had inhaled floor hashish mud and died of occupational bronchial asthma. Trulieve reached a settlement with OSHA earlier this 12 months over her loss of life.

On Tuesday, lawyer’s for her household stated lower than two months earlier than the 27-year-old’s loss of life, on Nov. 9, 2021, she suffered an bronchial asthma assault whereas working within the pre-roll manufacturing room “precipitated by vital publicity to hashish, particularly airborne hashish mud and/or mould particles, largely as a result of failures of the HVAC system on the Facility and lack of security protocols.”

McMurrey was taken to the hospital by ambulance for remedy, the lawyer’s stated in a press release. Truelieve, they allege, was conscious of the incident “however took no steps to guard Lorna following her first collapse whereas inside the ability.”

“Trulieve didn’t present or require Lorna’s employer, Life Essence, to adjust to correct security plans, insurance policies or procedures for employees affected by occupational bronchial asthma,” the assertion reads. “Trulieve additionally failed to supply Life Essence with efficient data and coaching to employees on hazardous supplies they have been uncovered to equivalent to floor hashish and mould. Because of these failures, Lorna returned to work the subsequent day to her identical place as a technician within the ‘Pre-roll’ manufacturing room.”

McMurrey suffered a second bronchial asthma assault whereas working within the pre-roll manufacturing room on Jan. 4, 2022. She died three days later.

“Trulieve must be held accountable,” McMurrey’s mom, Laura Bruneau, stated in a press release. “It was their job to guard Lorna. Lorna was my life. This firm took my complete life away from me. You may’t have the large hashish business come into Massachusetts and never shield Lorna and different employees.” 

McMurrey’s loss of life is the primary reported occupational bronchial asthma loss of life within the U.S. hashish business. A current federal report outlined that bronchial asthma and different allergic illnesses are a rising concern within the business and that McMurrey’s loss of life “illustrates missed alternatives for prevention, together with office exposures, medical surveillance, and remedy in keeping with the present bronchial asthma pointers.”

“The Defendants on this burgeoning business did not develop and implement acceptable security insurance policies throughout its services all through america, together with its Holyoke Facility,” Jeremy Carroll, one of many attorneys engaged on behalf of Lorna McMurrey’s household, stated in a press release. “Had they executed so, Lorna McMurrey could be alive at present. Lorna’s household now seeks accountability from Trulieve and its contractors for his or her clear disregard for employee security, in hopes of stopping such unnecessary loss for different households.”