June 19, 2024

Native Information

The chip was one of many final issues Harris Wolobah, 14, ate earlier than he died, his household stated.

Steve LeBlanc / AP

The tortilla chip firm that challenged shoppers to eat a single chip dusted with two of the most well liked peppers on the planet is pulling the product from retail cabinets, the corporate stated Thursday, days after the household of a young person stated he had died after consuming the chip.

“The Paqui One Chip Problem is meant for adults solely, with clear and distinguished labeling highlighting the chip just isn’t for kids” or different delicate teams, the corporate stated in an announcement on its web site. “We’ve seen a rise in teenagers and different people not heeding these warnings.”

In consequence, the corporate stated, it was working with retailers to take away the product from cabinets “out of an abundance of warning.”

Paqui additionally stated it could supply refunds for the product, which was priced at $9.99 for a single serving. Paqui is owned by Amplify Snack Manufacturers, a subsidiary of The Hershey Co.

The chip concerned within the problem was dusted with the Carolina Reaper and the Naga Viper peppers, two of the most well liked on the planet. The label on the coffin-shaped field dared clients to attend so long as potential earlier than consuming or consuming something after consuming the chip, after which to put up their reactions on social media.

Many movies on-line confirmed individuals begging for water or shoveling ice cream or milk into their mouths after consuming the chip.

The chip was one of many final issues Harris Wolobah, 14, ate earlier than he died, his household stated. Lois Wolobah, his mom, stated her son’s college in Worcester, Massachusetts, referred to as Friday to inform her that he was sick and that she wanted to choose him up. When she arrived on the college, Harris was doubled over with abdomen pains. About two hours later, he was rushed to a hospital, the place he later died.

The reason for his dying was not instantly clear, however Lois Wolobah informed The New York Instances that she believed the chip had one thing to do along with his dying.

A spokesperson for Paqui, Kim Metcalfe, stated that the corporate was “deeply saddened” by Harris’ dying and “specific our condolences to the household.”

“We care about all of our shoppers and have made the choice to take away the product from cabinets,” Metcalfe stated in an announcement to the Instances. “The product’s label clearly states it’s not for kids or anybody delicate to spicy meals or who has meals allergic reactions, is pregnant or has underlying well being circumstances.”

The spokesperson emphasised that the elimination of the chip was not a “recall” however slightly a “voluntary retrieval.”

This text initially appeared in The New York Instances.